Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Friday, February 19, 2010

Re-Enlistment

In order to go overseas with the Air Force, you have to have enough time left in your enlistment to fulfill your full tour at your overseas base. As we are headed to Italy after my Korea tour, I had to re-enlist and add 3 more years to my contract so that I would have enough time for the Italy assignment. I have always considered enlistment, or re-enlistment for that matter, as a serious, honorable and memorable occasion.

For this new enlistment, I had my Captain, Josh Schneider, do the honors for me. Our entire squadron stood at attention as I raised my right hand, faced Captain Schneider and stated the following oath:

“I, Joshua Roberts, do solemnly swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same, and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States, and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.”

After the Oath is administered, I got to say a few words about what enlisting means to me, and then we had some cake and punch to celebrate.

It is an incredible honor for me to serve my country in the Armed  Forces, and in the Air Force in particular. I don’t always agree with everything our country does, nor do I always WANT to obey the orders of the President, or even the officers appointed over me, but when you take the Oath, it is of your own free will. No one forces you to do so. You willingly make that choice without coercion or threat, and to be a person of honor and integrity requires that you do as you have sworn.

Thanks to all of you who have and continue to support my family and I, and the families of my brother Micah (US Army National Guard) and brother-in-law Matt ( US Navy). A special thanks to my brother-in-law Zac, a fire fighter in Tennessee…you guys don’t get the credit nor appreciation you deserve._DSC0135

2 comments:

Unknown said...

3 years in Italy will be such an awesome experience for your family. We will miss you soooo much!!!! Thanks for serving....

MOM said...

I AM SO PROUD OF YOU and am thankful for your family standing with you. We plan to see Italy while you are there! I have always wanted to visit Europe.